What is a part of the alkaloid family and is yellow in color? If you guessed Berberine, you are one heck of a health connoisseur!
No but seriously… what’s berberine you ask?
Berberine is a bioactive compound made out of various plants such as goldenseal, barberry, Oregon grape, and tree turmeric.
Berberine has been around for thousands of years and has been used in traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Some studies suggest that Berberine may be distributed harmoniously throughout the body by targeting specific areas to help fight off certain conditions while causing little to no side effects.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
After digesting berberine, the compound is said to be carried out into the bloodstream and then travels to the body’s cells. Once it is in the body’s cells, berberine may start to hit different “molecular targets” and may alter their function.
This is similar to how pharmaceutical drugs work in the body. Some studies have shown that berberine’s main action in the system is to activate an enzyme called AMP- activated protein Kinase (AMPK), better known as the “metabolic master switch”.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BERBERINE
Some studies have shown that berberine may have the following health benefits:
1. HELPS LOWER BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS
- Berberine activates AMPK, which regulates how the body uses blood sugar.
- Berberine may have positive effects on blood sugar, triglycerides, and insulin.
- A study published in 2019 in the Endocrine Journal suggested that combining berberine with a blood sugar-lowering drug may be more effective than using the drug alone.
2. HELPS WITH POLYCISTIC OVARY SYNDROME (PCOS) ISSUES
- Berberine is said in some studies to help with many issues associated with PCOS and that it may work like metformin, a drug prescribed to treat PCOS.
3. HELPS BOOST METABOLISM
- Berberine may enhance glucose and lipid metabolism, may balance microbiota, and may help control insulin spikes.
- A study published in 2012 in the Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine journal suggested that berberine may also help improve your body’s capability to use fat and glucose for fuel and may reduce BMI and leptin levels, a hormone involved in hunger.
4. HELPS LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE
- Berberine supplements combined with amlodipine (conventional therapy) may lower systolic blood pressure after 2 months of use.
- A study published in 2014 showed that berberine has also been shown in some studies to help reduce blood sugar levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes.
5. HELPS MAINTAIN HEALTHY CHOLESTEROL
- Berberine may help lower cholesterol levels.
- It may also help lower total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, and triglycerides according to some studies.
- Berberine has been shown in some studies to help raise HDL cholesterol levels.
- Berberine may occupy an enzyme called PCSK9 which may lead to more LDL removal from the bloodstream.
At Nuzena, we strive to create supplements made with natural ingredients that you can include as part of your integrative health journey.
With so many benefits on your general health, berberine is a go-to ingredient that can complement your current health efforts. We encourage you to check out Berberine Pure +, our non-GMO formula specifically designed by health professionals to provide natural support for blood sugar, healthy metabolism, and cholesterol levels.
Head over to our website to receive a free consultation with one of our health professionals to find out if this product is right for you!
By choosing an integrative approach to living a healthy life, you’re signing up your body and mind for maximum results.
Let’s continue this health journey together! We invite you to join our healthy living community to be notified every time we publish a new article.
The Nuzena Team